President's Advisory Committee on Building an Inclusive Community (PACBIC)
PACBIC aims to:
- Identify and anticipate issues affecting equity-seeking communities both within the University and relevant to those seeking access to the University, and to advise the President on such issues;
- Provide a forum for discussion, reflection and learning on issues of inclusion, equity and community-building and, in keeping with the spirit of the University, create spaces for respectful debate on important social issues;
- Provide advice to the President on the planning and development of policies and programs related to “building an inclusive community with a shared purpose” (the third strategic goal of Refining Directions), both within the University and the broader McMaster community;
- Meet with the President at least once a year to discuss PACBIC’s work and progress;
- Provide reports and make recommendations for action to the President, the University Planning Committee (UPC) and other relevant University bodies in order to channel advice through the University structure and thus sustain a University culture that advances equity and inclusion.
Thursday, March 16th, 2017
Here are some resources available to McMaster Students affected by or concerned about Islamophobia, racism, and its intersections. Click Here.
Monday, March 6th, 2017
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017
PACBIC Statement anti-semitism and hate:
Condemning the Rising and Continuing Acts of Anti-Semitism, Jewish Hatred, Desecration of Jewish Cemeteries and Threats of Violence: A Joint Statement
Monday, January 30th, 2017
PACBIC's statement on the travel ban:
Meeting Schedule 2016-17
- Friday, October 21, 2016: 9:30am - 11:30am
- Wednesday, November 23, 2016: 1:30pm - 3:30pm
- Friday, December 16, 2016: 9:30am - 11:30am
- Tuesday, January 24, 2017: 9:30am - 11:30am
- Wednesday, February 22, 2017: 9:30am - 11:30am
- Wednesday, March 22, 2017: 9:30am - 11:30am
- Tuesday, April 25, 2017: 9:30am - 11:30am
- Wednesday, May 24, 2017: 9:30am - 11:30am
Announcement: New LGBTQ+ Working Group at McMaster
The President’s Advisory Committee on Building an Inclusive Community (PACBIC) is pleased to announce a new working group that will address systemic issues that impact LGBTQ+ at McMaster University.
LGBTQ+ students, staff and faculty members, and their allies, are invited to join this volunteer committee.
To attend the first meeting of this group, or to be kept informed of future projects and events, please contact Michelle Poirier, resource person, at email@example.com
Why You Should Become a Member of PACBIC
Dr. Ameil Joseph was recently interviewed by CFMU 93.3 about why you should become a member of PACBIC: https://cfmu.wordpress.com/2016/08/11/why-you-should-become-a-part-of-pacbic/
Farewell and Welcome
On May 24th, 2016, Dr. Jane Aronson chaired her final meeting of the President's Advisory Committee on Building an Inclusive Community (PACBIC). We thank her for her 28 years of work for social justice and equity on campus. We also welcome Dr. Ameil Joseph as the incoming Chair, both pictured below.
Photo credit: Raihanna Hirji-Khalfan